Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Blog 5 Project Updates

I am making headway on the Dewey Decimal weeding project. I spent some time at the Jones Elementary Library perusing the stacks and talking with the librarian about the collection and its weeding needs. Based on this conversation, I chose to focus on the 300s section of the collection. While I understand the project is strictly theoretical, I thought it would be interesting to work on a section that the librarian has already assessed as being in need of weeding. With Ms. Hendrix’s help, I have printed out a shelf list for my chosen section. It contains over three hundred titles. I made some initial notes while in the stacks this past week. I am now revisiting the list, making additional notes and assessments and will return to the stacks this week to continue the weeding process.

For the copyright project, I have been in conversation with the Jones Elementary librarian. I have borrowed the book Copyright for Schools: A Practical Guide, Fourth Edition, by Carol Simpson. It isn’t exactly an exciting read, but it’s packed with useful and pertinent information, so I’ve begun trying to slog my way through it. It covers everything from the basics of copyright law to specific copyright issues pertaining to the use of audiovisual materials, computer software, and the Internet in schools.

My group project is moving along smoothly. My group members and I have identified three key focus areas and each of us is working on one of them. I am working on developing a “core collection” of LGBTQ-related titles for an elementary school library. I’ve talked at length with the Jones Elementary librarian about this topic and have been heartened to learn that she has prioritized expanding this component of the Jones collection. I enjoyed walking around the library with her as she pulled a range of titles from the stacks including King and King and Tango Makes Three. I was pleasantly surprised to see these titles “mainstreamed” throughout the collection. There is still plenty of room for this collection to be expanded, and I have found numerous titles by researching online. There were also a number of good LGBTQ related titles cited in the article I reviewed last week, “Master Class in Teaching Children’s Literature.”

No comments: